Monday, November 9, 2009

Sometimes it's best just to roll up your sleeves and start it.

  Here I am finally doing it.  After talking about it and attempted a few times, it appears that this is it.  It.  Can you hardly stand the excitement of all of it?

  Why thank you for asking.  It would be my first blog post.  Believe me, I have enough little thoughts and ideas jotted down to help me through this venture.  I just needed to take that first little tip tap across the keyboards to start my journey.  Who knows what topics we will discuss and discover together.  If you want to go ahead and put that trusting little hand into mine we can explore any little thing we desire.  Well maybe not all things, but perhaps most.

  Today I sit at my trusty kitchen table with the fire in the living room flickering warmly and watch the water fall from the sky.  It is another fall day for the Pacific Northwest and the first month or so of rain is the hardest to get used to.  Throw in the daylight savings that occurred last weekend and the hours of lighter shades of grey are very limited.  The wind moving the cedar trees, slanting the rain and evicting leaves from the Magnolia trees adds to the visual effect of being cold.  Even wrapped around a cup of tea my hands refuse to warm up.

  The dogs have allowed me some free time which much indicate the level of greyness in the air.  I suspect however that it is more of them usually sleeping all day storing up energy to hurl at me the moment I walk in the house.  Each one needing to be the first to have a scratch, to bounce off the back of my legs on the trip to turn off the alarm, just the first for attention will do, anyhow they get it.

  It's the time of the year to settle in with all the shows you want to catch up on, those holiday projects you'll start but somehow run out of time to complete, and wait for the rain to let up.  Could be an hour or it could be a month.  It will all depend on what you are worried about your house.  Leaky roof - count on a month.  Reseeding your lawn - count on a good frost and no rain for a month.

  Friday this last week I headed out of Seattleopolis on the drive north and ran into rain that made even the Seattleites slow down and flick the wipers up to extra fast.  I'm in a convertible so the drum beat of rain pounding above my head was enough to invoke it's own Paul Simon drumbeat solo.  The hail started and proceeded to pile up on the windshield.  Ahead in the distance you could see the edge of the storm and the haven of rain we are used to and intermittent windshield wiper action.

  As Mother Nature is wont to do we never reached that light at the end of the storm.  We were being swallowed up as the storm overtook us on it's way north.  The carpool lanes could only be used by the buses and bigger trucks as there was a river commuting itself in the carpool lane.  Water was flying over the jersey barriers, up from the buses and over from trucks.

  The lightening and thunder started as I pulled into the garage.  The wind shook the cedars and evergreens and finished off the last of the dead needles and branches.  A week ago the backyard was green, this week it is brown from leaves and cedar branches.  The rain continued pounding down most of the night and through most of the weekend.  Welcome to Washington winters.

  All that rain and wetness produced this monster in my front yard.  He's got 3 friends hanging out with him and is literally so big I almost wish I had a tacky yard gnome.  I also have an insane urge to demolish it with a golf club.  Fore!


 
  I leave you with that image while I try and figure out how to attach a picture to our page.

The Papillon Pack